Drinking Water Facilities Review | FAQs

When do I need to submit an application to ADEQ to construct a drinking water facility?

A person shall not start to construct a new public water system, modify an existing facility, including an extension to an existing public water system, or make an alteration that will affect the treatment, capacity, water quality, flow, distribution, or operational performance of a public water system before receiving an Approval to Construct (ATC) from the Department. A new Public Water System (PWS) must also comply with the capacity development rules in Arizona Administrative Code (AAC) R18-4-601.

Where do I file my application?

There are some counties and cities that are delegated to review and issue approval certificates for public water systems | View List >

Where do I submit an application for federal or state facilities?

Facilities owned by the federal government or the State of Arizona, those owned or operated by a delegated city or county, and those owned or operated by districts subject to the control of a city or county are not delegated and must be sent to ADEQ in Phoenix for project review.

Do I need an Arizona Registered Professional Engineer to complete the application?

An Arizona Registered Professional Engineer is required to seal, sign and date the plans/construction drawings,  specifications and design report. The application can be completed by the engineer or applicant and must be signed by both parties. 

If the PWS’s additions, modification, revisions, or extensions do not exceed $12,500 for material, equipment and labor, then a Registered Professional Engineer outside of Arizona may submit the application.

How long will it take for ADEQ to review my application and issue the certificate?

The review time will vary depending on work load and the completeness and quality of the application submittal. The department shall review an application and issue a decision within a licensing time frame, per Arizona Administrative Code R18-1-525 | View Time Frames >

What are the standards and rules governing the installation of a public water system?

Generally speaking, all engineering standards for drinking water distribution systems are incorporated into the Arizona Administrative Code, Title 18, Chapter 5 Bulletin 8, and Bulletin 10, Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) Standards, Pima County Standards, AWWA and NSF International 60 and 61. 

Can I submit construction drawing, specifications, or other supporting documents that are “Not for Construction” or are “Preliminary”?

No. Documents that are submitted as part of a complete application package shall be final plans ready for construction per AAC R18-5-505(B) (1) (a).

What is the size for construction drawings?

Construction drawings should be  24 inches x 36 inches and folded. Rolled plans may not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant.

How many copies do I need to submit?

One copy is sufficient.  We recommend that the applicant keep a copy for their own records.

What is the cost for an AOC application?

AOC application does not require fee.

When can I begin construction?

Construction can start at any time after Approval to Construct (ATC) is received by the applicant.

How long is the Approval to Construct (ATC) valid?

The ATC is valid for 4 years 90 days. If Approval of Construction (AOC) is not submitted before 4 years 90 days ATC will be voided per AAC R18-5-505 (E)).

How long New Source Analysis (NSA) is valid?

If NSA results are provided to ADEQ within 1 year of original sampling event then no further sampling is required.

If NSA results are provided to ADEQ between 1-3 years of original sampling event then resample and provide results for total coliform bacteria, nitrates and nitrites.

If NSA results are provided to ADEQ between 3-5 years of original sampling event then resample and provide results for total coliform bacteria, nitrates, nitrites and Inorganic Contaminants (IOCs).

If NSA results are provided to ADEQ after 5 years of original sampling event then a complete, new NSA is required.

When do I need to install treatment on water system?

Treatment is required when any regulated contaminant exceeds the Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL).  This will vary depending on the type of Public Water System.

Where can I get water tested for analysis?

You can have your water tested at a laboratory certified by the Arizona Department of Health Services.  More information can be found on their website.  https://app.azdhs.gov/bfs/labs/elbis/drinkingwatertestinglabs/drinkingwa...