Small Communities Environmental Compliance Assistance Program
ADEQ is working with cities, towns and special districts with limited resources and populations of 10,000 or less to help them comply with environmental laws. ADEQ’s voluntary Small Communities Environmental Compliance Assistance Program offers resources for maintaining and documenting compliance efforts.
Participating communities with a complete Small Community Environmental Protection Plan (SCEPP) and demonstrated compliance with applicable environmental laws may qualify for up to 100 percent penalty reduction* from ADEQ for environmental violations that may occur. ADEQ offers assistance through template and guidance materials to train small communities on environmental requirements and help with SCEPP development.
Other benefits of participation include:
• Tools to improve operations at less cost
• Improved employee training
• Increased community confidence in municipal services
• Means to attract prospective employees or investors
How to Participate in the Program
Eligible small communities include those that develop policy and procedures to reduce violations and show “good faith commitment” to remaining in compliance with applicable environmental laws, including an internal compliance evaluation, prompt self-reporting and timely corrective actions.
Participation in the program begins with a written request to ADEQ documenting the community’s good faith commitment. Upon acceptance, participating small communities develop a SCEPP and submit it to ADEQ. ADEQ’s review is to verity that the SCEPP meets the requirements in ADEQ’s Small Community Policy | View Policy >
Is your community already participating? | View SCEPP List >
* The 100 percent reduction in penalties is only for possible new environmental violations that may occur following completion of the SCEPP. ADEQ’s Small Community Policy outlines how a smaller reduction in penalties may occur for existing violations.
Speak with one of ADEQ's Community Liaisons (CL) to learn more and how to apply | See CL Map/Contact Information >