YUMA - The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) is issuing a High Pollution Advisory (HPA) for course particulate matter (PM-10) effective November 26 & 27, 2020 in the Yuma area. PM-10 is made up of small particles found in dust. ADEQ recommends that people limit outdoor activity while the H[A is in effect, especially children and adults with respiratory problems.
Check the Hourly Air Quality Forecast | View >
People most vulnerable to the impacts of air pollution include children, older adults, adults exercising outdoors and people with heart or lung disease and those suffering from asthma and bronchitis. Exposure can increase the number and severity of asthma attacks, cause or aggravate bronchitis or other lung disease and reduce the body’s ability to fight infection. Symptoms may include itchy eyes, nose, and throat, wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain and upper respiratory issues. Long-term exposure is linked to premature death in people with heart or lung disease, nonfatal heart attacks, irregular heartbeat and decreased lung function.
Please help reduce PM-10 by doing one or more of the following:
• Avoid dirt roads.
• Avoid the use of leaf blowers.
• Ride transit, carpool or telework.
• Eliminate all unnecessary driving and/or combine trips.
• Use gas or electric instead of burning wood
• Limit the lighting of fireworks
• If burning wood for heat or food preparation, use dry wood (burning wet wood releases more particulate matter)