Skip to main content

Why do I need a Nitrogen Management General Permit?

This permit is for owners and operators of Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs). This permit (18 A.A.C. 9 Article 4) protects groundwater by minimizing discharges of nitrogen to groundwater from waste impoundments and other CAFO activities through the use of Best Management Practices (BMPs). A CAFO owner or operator does not have to submit any paperwork to ADEQ to apply for this permit, but is covered under the general permit if the owner or operator complies with BMPs outlined in the rule, that minimize the discharge of nitrogen to the aquifer. The BMPs are designed to control nitrogen discharges from: harvesting, stockpiling and disposal of animal manure; disposal of manure contaminated water from CAFO activities; construction and maintenance of the lining of any impoundment used to contain process wastewater or contact stormwater from a CAFO operation. The rule provides the lining requirements for new and existing impoundments.