Maricopa County Cave Creek Landfill | Solid Waste Site
Maricopa County Cave Creek Landfill
(Closed Municipal Solid Waste Landfill)
3955 E. Carefree Highway, Cave Creek, AZ 85331
Contaminants of Concern (COCs):
What Are My Health Risks?
For Soil | There is little to no health risk unless there is contact with skin or ingestion of contaminated soil.
For Groundwater | If you are connected to a Public Water System (PWS) there is little to no risk of impact from exceedances because the water is filtered through the PWS for residential and business use | View Drinking Water Notices >
If you have a private well in the vicinity of the exceedance, we encourage you to test the well water.
Not sure what to test for? | Learn More >
Site is a closed municipal solid waste landfill in Maricopa County. Maricopa County is under a consent order with ADEQ. Maricopa County has installed an on-site soil vapor extraction system (SVE) to address TCE concerns that serves as a source of groundwater contamination.
- Maricopa County and ADEQ entered a consent order in 1999 to characterize the nature and extent of the site groundwater contamination
- Maricopa County developed a revised Remedial Action Plan (RAP) and submitted the final version to ADEQ in May 2016
- ADEQ approved the RAP in November 2016
- The City of Phoenix and Maricopa County have approved the Intergovernmental Agreement for the injection well site. The agreement allows Maricopa County to proceed with injection well site development. Maricopa County prepared and distributed a flyer to inform immediate residents about the site activates
- Maricopa County finished work on the Phase 1 groundwater treatment system in February 2021
- Work on the Phase 2 pipeline is being completed
- Phase 3 injection well development and testing is complete, and work on the Phase 3 infrastructure is underway
- From September 2015 to December 2020, the SVE operations removed 49, 904 pounds of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- ADEQ has received and reviewed the fourth quarter 2020 Status Report required by the approved 2016 RAP