Skip to main content

AQD | Open Burn Permit

Air Permits and Compliance Section

Open Burn Permits

Revised On: March 21, 2024 - 12:00 p.m.

If you need to set an outdoor fire for weed abatement, prevention of fire hazards, or firefighting instruction, Arizona law requires you to get an open burn permit. This requirement does not apply to fires set by public officers in the performance of an official duty.

You do not need a permit for setting a fire used for cooking, campfires, warmth, recreation, animal branding, disposing of a U.S. flag, or orchard heaters (for frost prevention in farming or nursery operations).

We issue open burn permits to help protect the public from smoke impacts. Two types of open burn permits are issued in Arizona: Open Burn Permit and Dangerous Materials Open Burn Permit. 

Getting an Open Burn Permit

Open burn permits in Maricopa, Pima and Pinal County are issued at the county level:

Maricopa County | Go to Burn Permits >
Pima County | Go to Burn Permits > 

Pinal County | Go to Burn Permits >

In some locations outside these counties, fire departments and local governments have authority to issue open burn permits | See Jurisdiction List for County Open Burn Permit Information > See Gila River Indian Community's Residential & Agriculture Burn Permit Application >

Apply with the Online Portal

Applying for an Open Burn Permit is paperless with the release of ADEQ's online portal. Using the Open Burn Permit Online Portal, you can:

  • Get your permit at any time, at your convenience, 24/7
  • Instantly receive your permit confirmation and documentation
  • Save and resume any in-progress permit applications for up to 7 days

Open Burn Permit Online Portal | Visit Portal to Apply >
Permit Duration: 1 year

Permit Cost: $0 
Same-day issuance

Dangerous Materials Open Burn Permit

Fires set for the disposal of dangerous materials are permitted only when there is no safe way to store or transport it, and when the burning of the materials does not result in the emission of hazardous or toxic substances in amounts that will endanger health or safety. We are the only agency in Arizona authorized to issue open burn permits for dangerous materials.

To apply for a Dangerous Materials Open Burn Permit, please download and follow the instructions on the permit application form to submit | View/Download >

Permit Duration: 1 year

Permit Cost: $0

Can I Burn Household Trash?

Generally, no. Use any household waste/trash collection systems available. If none are available, contact us or your local open burn authority to obtain written permission before burning household waste | View/Download Jurisdiction List >

Conducting a Safe Open Burn

Your open burn permit will specify the allowable methods that can be used for burning. Burn materials either in a pile, collected in a pit or ditch, or burned using an approved waste burner. An approved waste burner means an incinerator constructed of fire resistant material with a cover or screen that is closed when in use, and has an opening in the sides or top no greater than one-inch in diameter.

Field burns can be authorized for agriculture only.

Arizona Open Burn Law
Arizona Revised Statutes 49-501 | Read >
Arizona Administrative Code R18-2-602 | Read >

Open Burns

Arizona Requirements — Watch a Video

Air Quality Permit Liaison
           Ph: 602-771-2338
          Email >

Water Quality Permit Liaisons
         For: Groundwater
                Ph: 602-771-0175
                Email >
         For: Drinking Water
               Ph: 602-771-7570
         For: Surface Water
                Ph: 602-771-1440
                Email >

Waste Permit Liaisons
         For: Solid and Biohazardous
                Ph: 602-771-4136
                Email >
         For: Hazardous Waste
                Ph: 602-771-0349
                Email >
         For: USTs
                Ph: 602-771-4196
                Email >