P2 House | Painting
When painting, it’s important to avoid the release of paint fumes known as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). For homes built prior to 1978, pay special attention to the process of sanding, scraping and removing old paint since these activities can generate dust and chips that may contain lead particles.
- Do not use exterior paints for interior painting
- Keep windows open and take breaks often
- Use a fan to air out spaces
- Use the proper personal protection such as masks and gloves
- Keep children and pregnant women out of the room being painted
- Allow paint to dry completely and the room to aerate before returning furniture and occupying it