Prescription Drug Disposal
Why Is Proper Prescription Drug Disposal Important?
- Poison children and animals that may find the medication
- Be scavenged and sold unlawfully
- Pass through sewage treatment plants and septic tanks and contaminate groundwater and soil
How Can You Help Protect Your Community?
- Find the closest drop box location for unused, unneeded or expired prescription and over-the-counter drugs | Drop Box Locator >
- Discard your unused, unneeded or expired prescription and over-the-counter drugs in the drop box.
- If you cannot locate a convenient drop box:
STEP 1: Remove unused, unneeded or expired prescription drugs from their original containers.
STEP 2: Place them in an impermeable, nondescript container.
STEP 3: Mix them with an encapsulating agent to further ensure they are not diverted or accidentally ingested by children or pets or contaminate groundwater.
STEP 4: Seal the container tightly and throw it in the trash.
Learn more about prescription drug disposal | View fact sheet>