Construction General Permit | Frequently Asked Questions


What are the flat fees for the CGP?

Annual fees are based on the number of acres being disturbed during the construction project:

  • Less than or equal to 1 acre disturbed | $250 *
  • 1 – 50 acres disturbed | $350 *
  • Greater than 50 acres disturbed | $500 *

* $1,000 SWPPP/SAP first time review fee is required if any of your outfall(s) are within 1/4 mile of impaired, not-attaining, Outstanding Arizona Waters. A $500 SWPPP review fee is required when a second review is needed.

Will there be annual fees for the 2020 CGP?

Yes, there are annual fees (billed on the anniversary month of the NOI), until the permittee submits a notice of termination (NOT) and ADEQ approves the NOT. 

Do I need to pay the renewal fee invoice I received prior to the June 30, 2020, expiration date and then still file a new Notice of Intent (NOI) between July 1, 2020, and Aug. 31, 2020, and pay an additional fee if my construction activities will continue beyond August 31?

Yes. The 2020 CGP is a new permit, requiring a new NOI and permit fee. All AZPDES permits have standard permit conditions. One such condition is the Duty to Reapply/Continuation of the Expired General Permit which states: “Upon reissuance of the general permit, the operator shall file an electronic Notice of Intent through myDEQ, within the timeframe specified in the new general permit, and shall obtain new written authorization to discharge from the Director."

Can payment be made for multiple NOIs or does each one need to be paid separately?

Each NOI will need to be paid individually.

My company only cuts checks, where can I mail a check?

myDEQ accepts electronic checks | Learn More >

myDEQ Selections

Will we select "New NOI" in myDEQ, even if we were covered under the previous permit and are essentially transferring coverage to the 2020 CGP?

Yes. From your myDEQ Dashboard, click on the myAPPLICATIONS tab. At the top right, there is a “Get New” button. Click this button, and you will be able to enter your new NOI under the 2020 CGP in myDEQ.

When asked, "Where does stormwater discharge from your site," what happens if you choose “I’m not sure?"

The myDEQ system will provide additional questions to determine if you have applicable discharges or not.

Is there a way to determine if you meet the waiver criteria without going through the myDEQ application process?

Yes | View EPA Fact Sheet to Learn More >

If construction on portions of the entire acreage have been completed since the previous CGP expired, should I list the total acreage (including where construction activities are complete) or just acreage that still has ongoing construction activity?

Only enter the acreage that still has ongoing construction activity and has yet to complete final stabilization. 

When entering the site address for roadway projects, will route and milepost (e.g., I-40, MP 100-102) work for the address verification?

For sites without an official mailing address, you have the option to select the latitude/longitude from a map. Typically, for linear projects, you should select a point on the map in the middle of the project site and provide any additional location information in the "Driving Directions" box. If there are no "from-to" streets, using mileposts is acceptable.

What is the difference between "pipeline" and "utility"?

In general, a pipeline implies a long pipe, typically underground, for conveying oil, gas, etc., over long distances. Utilities are typically considered pipes that connect water, sewer, etc., between municipalities and homes/buildings. Either selection in myDEQ is acceptable.


Are "outfalls" where water from the construction site meets a Water of the U.S.?

Yes, "outfalls" are where the discharge of stormwater goes to a receiving surface water (i.e., a Water of the U.S.) or to a municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4).

For the outfall spreadsheet template, what information do I need to provide?

When you reach this page in myDEQ, you will be provided a spreadsheet template that you should download and fill out the latitude/longitude and provide a name/number for each outfall. Once you've filled out this information in the spreadsheet, you will upload the completed spreadsheet in myDEQ.

If we know the name of the waterbody that our site may discharge stormwater to, can we choose that waterbody from the drop-down list in myDEQ?

Yes. If your site will discharge stormwater to a named waterbody, select that waterbody from the drop-down list in myDEQ.

If there are multiple outfall locations and MS4 locations (such as sewer drains) do we need to list them all?

For sites with multiple outfalls, if the stormwater that leaves the site has the same characteristics, representative outfalls may be used. ADEQ encourages operators of such sites to contact ADEQ to discuss site specifics prior to beginning the NOI application process in myDEQ | Contact ADEQ >

If a site has sheet flow that discharges to a city storm drain (off-site, but close to the property), is a permit needed?

Yes, sheet flow of stormwater associated with construction activities from the project site is considered a point-source and is regulated under the AZPDES CGP.

If discharges from my site will reach an impaired or Outstanding Arizona Water (OAW) but ADEQ has notified me that analytical monitoring is not required on my site, why does the NOI indicate that an e-DMR is required?

The myDEQ system is programmed to set up an e-DMR for all sites that are within 1/4 mile of an impaired or OAW. Even though you will not have to analytically monitor for impairments, you are still required to submit a No Data DMR as per the requirements in Section 7 of the permit.

No Discharge Certificates (NDC)

If a site is adjacent to an MS4 and the site project is designed to retain the volume of a 100-year, 2-hour storm, would the project need CGP coverage or would an NDC apply?

The NDC option is only for facilities and activities that do not discharge or propose to discharge. Any discharge, or proposed discharge, must be covered by an authorizing Clean Water Act permit. This includes discharges directly to a surface water (i.e., a Water of the U.S.), as well as discharges that are conveyed to a surface water by a conveyance or system of conveyances, such as an MS4. Stormwater control measures, such as retention basins, must be designed, installed, and maintained to reduce the discharge of pollutants, but are not a substitute for permit coverage. 

Who is eligible for an NDC?

An NDC is for construction sites that will not have discharges of stormwater off-site and requires the identification of controls used to manage stormwater on-site. A CGP NOI is for construction activities that will have discharges of stormwater to a surface water (i.e., a Water of the U.S.). 

What is the cost of an NDC?

There is no fee for the NDC.

Will MS4 municipalities accept an NDC under the new CGP?

It depends. ADEQ implemented the NDC with the 2020 CGP, but each municipality has their own construction requirements.

Is certification by the RCO/DRO required for the NDC?

Yes, the NDC must be certified by an RCO/DRO | Learn More About myDEQ User Roles > 
Once certified, myDEQ will issue a No Discharge Certifcate electronically via email to the applicant.


If we had a permit prior to July 1, 2020 (before the 2013 CGP expired) and we are not going to perform construction activities on that site, do we still need a 2020 CGP?

No, if you are not performing construction activities or if your construction activities are complete and final stabilization is in place, you do not need an NOI under the 2020 CGP.

Where is the expiration date for each NOI?

The 2020 CGP expires on June 30, 2025, which is listed upon issuance. NOIs are active until a notice of termination (NOT) has been submitted and ADEQ approves the NOT, or until June 30, 2025, whichever occurs first.

Are NOIs effective for one year?

NOIs are effective until you submit an NOT and ADEQ approves the NOT (once construction activity and final stabilization is complete) or until the general permit expires, whichever occurs first. Note that until your NOI is terminated, you will continue to be responsible for the annual fee.

How do I extend an existing permit?

Submit an NOI in myDEQ to maintain your CGP coverage. You will have an option to add your previous NOI number when obtaining a new NOI. Also note, there is no need to submit a separate notice of termination (NOT).

Are discharges permitted only during the term of construction, or are they permitted for the life of the completed project (i.e., many years to come)?

The CGP covers stormwater discharges from construction activities, not post-construction. Once final stabilization is in place, an NOT can be submitted in myDEQ, terminating stormwater coverage.

Will there be an NOI search vehicle as currently available on the ADEQ website?

Yes. As myDEQ customers, you will have access to your permits in one convenient online dashboard in myDEQ. If you require access to permit information that is not associated with your myDEQ account, you may submit a records request | Learn How >


Contact the program with any CGP-related questions | Email >